RIMâ€™s Gaming division is really putting on the full court press when it comes to attracting game developers. Now Sean Paul Taylor, Team Lead for Gaming R&D at RIM, announced that they have released their new v1.2 of their open source cross platform C++ game development framework Gameplay. I am not sure if this development is coming to RIM via an acquisition but its pretty cool that RIM is pushing their own totally open-source 3D gaming framework. I thought at first that it might have come from RIMâ€™s Scoreloop acquisition but this version does not have Scoreloop integration yetâ€¦ Check out a demo of one of their games in development made using Gameplay:
Either way Sean let all devs know that together with Steve Grenier he is trying to make sure gaming on BlackBerry 10 is at the top of the game. His team has been porting all of the leading open source technologies to BlackBerry 10 and this is just one more prong in that effort. According to him:
Current features in gameplay
- Written completely in C++ and well documented using doxygen.
- Solution and workspaces for Visual Studio 2010, XCode 3.2.1 and Momentics IDEâ€™s.
- Platform-Game abstraction layer separating all operating system code from game engine code.
- Input system support for Mouse, Keyboard and Touch.
- Full vector math library with classes for Vector2/3/4, Matrix, Quaternion, Ray, Plane. Also Frustum and BoundingBox/BoundingSphere classes for object culling.
- Solid OpenGL 3.2+ (for Desktop) and OpenGL ES 2.0 (for Mobile) based rendering system with classes for RenderState, FrameBuffer, Mesh, Material, Effect, Pass and Techniques.
- Easy-to-use and efficient Font and Sprite classes.
- Scene-graph components such as Scene, Node, Light, Camera and Model.
- Binary encoding tool for creating optimized bundles for loading TTF fonts and 3D game assets supporting both COLLADA and FBX formats.
- Extensible animation system with classes for Animation, AnimationClip and Curve with built-in AnimationTargetâ€™s on Transform and MaterialParameterâ€™s classes.
- Complete 3D audio system with additional support for compressed audio using OGG and supporting HDMI gaming.
New features in gameplay v1.2
- Newplatforms now supporting:
- BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0 and BlackBerry 10 ready!
- Apple iOS 5.1 for iPhone and iPad
- Google Android 2.3+
- Microsoft Windows 7
- Apple MacOSX
- New shader-based material system with built-in common shader library.
- New declarative scene binding.
- New declarative particle system.
- Improved physics system with rigid body dynamics and constraints.
- New character physics and ghost objects.
- Improved animation system supporting animated skeletal character animation.
- New declarative user interface system with support for declartive theming and ortho, and 3D form definition with built-in core control classes such as Button, Label, TextBox, Slider, CheckBox, RadioButton. Also includes Layout classes such as Absolute/Vertical and FlowLayout.
- New cross-platform new game project wizard scripts.
- New game developer guide.
- New game samples and tutorials.
The â€˜nextâ€™ feature branch for v1.3, v1.4, v1.5
- Optimizations and Performance improvements
- Terrain and Sky
- Gamepad input for Wii, Xbox 360 and BluetoothÂ® HID controllers
- Scoreloop Social integration
Check out the code and samples at our BlackBerry Github page and let me know what youâ€™re working on.